Thursday, January 18, 2018

Integration testing, part 4. The type of test to create


Now that I have generally covered the task at hand - ensuring that our engine and muffler will work together - I can finally start covering how to test that they work together.

When I last mentioned the testing challenge of validating the engine output can always we handled by the muffer, I mentioned 2 different test methods we could employ.

The first was an automated test, running on a computer, which would compare the data sheet of the engine to the data sheet of the muffler.  Specifically, it would look at the volume and pressure output of the  engine and validate that all these numbers were less than the maximum capacity of the muffler.  If we assume that we can examine the data sheets and that they are up to date then this is a terrific solution.  Once we alter the document, we find out instantly if the numbers will work for us.  If we were sitting around a design room, we could quickly look at multiple different engine and muffler combinations and rule out sets that obviously would not work.  No need to weld the engine into place or anything heavy like that.  This type of check can prevent errors down the road (so to speak), is relatively cheap to implement and gives very speedy feedback.

This is a solution I would push to implement to help with this problem.

Since I am a tester by nature, though, this is not the only check I would want to use.  We've all heard the old sayings of not putting all our eggs in one basket and I would also want a backup system in place to help me understand the operation of the engine and muffler system.

More on that next time!

Questions, comments, concerns and criticisms always welcome,
John

No comments:

Post a Comment