Friday, March 16, 2018

A quick jaunt to Palo Alto


The bigger organization within Tableau of which I am a part has a rather large team at our office in Palo Alto.  We had an All Hands meeting on Monday this week and I was able to attend in person.  I always like visiting Silicon Valley and decided I would ramble a bit about why this week.

  1. The number of tech companies there is astounding.  Everywhere I look I see Microsoft, Amazon, Apple, iAm, Sophos, Salesforce and so on.  It just brings out the geek in me.
  2. The shuttle we used was a Tesla.  Repeat: the shuttle was a Tesla.
  3. The weather there is typically nicer than Seattle.  One exception: I was in San Francisco once and went from hail in the morning to 95 degrees in the afternoon.  Cue the Mark Twain quote.
  4. It's always nice to step away from my desk now and then to get some new thoughts going.
  5. Meeting the entire team in Palo Alto lets me a face with a name.

I also talked with a few folks that are facing some of the same challenges our team is facing.  Maybe we can collaborate to face them and not waste time duplicating work - nothing to do with Palo Alto, just good business.

All in all, an enjoyable trip worth the time investment.

Questions, comments, concerns and criticisms always welcome,
John

No comments:

Post a Comment