Thursday, July 6, 2017

Using the tool I wrote last week to start making changes


I finished my tool to look through a large set of our test code to classify our tests with respect to who owns them, when they run and other attributes like that.  My first use of this was to find "dead" tests - tests that never run, provide no validation or otherwise are left in the system for some reason.  I want to give a sense of scale for how big this type of challenge is.

After looking through just over 1000 tests, I identified 15 that appeared they may be dead.  Closer examination of those tests took about 1/2 a day and determined that 8 of them are actually in use.  This revealed a hole in my tool - there was an attribute I forgot to check.

One of the tests was actually valid and had simply been mis-tagged.  I reenabled that test and it is now running again and providing validation that nothing has broken.

The other 6 tests were a bit more challenging.  I had to look at each test then look at lab results to see if anyone was actually still running them, dig through each test to see what was the expected result and so on.  In most cases, I had to go to the person that wrote the test - in 2 instances, almost 10 years ago - to see if the tests could be removed.  It might seem trivial to track 6 files out of 1000+ but this will save us build time for every build and maintenance costs over the years as well as leaving a slightly cleaner test code base.

In 4 of the cases, the tests can be removed and I have removed them.  In the USA, this is a holiday week for us so I am waiting on some folks to get back in the office next week to follow up on the last 2 tests. 

This is all incremental steps to squaring away our test code.

Questions, comments, criticisms and complaints always welcome,
John

No comments:

Post a Comment