Tuesday, June 27, 2017

Working on a tool for a hackathon

We have a culture of regular time devoted to hackathons.  We can work on what we know is important or fun or challenging - we have free reign to take on the projects that we are motivated to complete.

For my project, I am working on classifying some of our test code.  What I have to do specifically is parse through each test file looking for attributes in the code.  The goal here is to make a tool that does this so I never have to do it again.

I've been working on this for a day now, and I am reminded why I want this tool.  I have written TONS of code that opens a text (type) file and goes through it line by line.  It is always tedious, slow and I always have to look up how to do these basic tasks on the internet.  Since I only do this once every year or so, I forget the exact syntax to use and need a continual refresher.

But I got my tool done yesterday and am making sure it works today.  Then I want to move it from a command line to a nice visualization that I can monitor for changes…

Questions, comments, criticisms and complaints always welcome,
John

No comments:

Post a Comment