One of the tasks
developers have is adding a test when making code change.That is just good engineering practice - you
always want to make sure your code works, and then when I make a change, I want
to test that I did not break your code.It's pretty self-explanatory, really.
The trick here is
that when someone fixes a bug report.Bug reports are tracked by number, so I may be working on bug 1234
today.When I get a fix in place, I need
to add a test.Now, when I add the test,
I need to give the test a name.
One easy way to name
the test is naming it after the bug number being fixed, like this:
That makes it
possible for anyone else that needs to look at this code to know to check the
bug database for details around bug 1234.I chose the word "possible" there specifically because while
it is possible to do this, it is time consuming.I have to switch from my IDE (I use Visual
Studio) to the bug tool and dig up the bug report.
Now imagine if I had
named that test this instead:
Now if I am reading
that code, or investigating a failure, I have a MUCH better starting
point.I know that the test I
potentially broke had to with French regions and maps.If I am changing map code, I am very
interested in what I might have broken and know where to start my investigation
much more quickly.I don't have to
switch out of my IDE to get this data and it saves me a little bit of time
So while I am going
through tests, I am not renaming the old format with a bit of descriptive
text.The next challenge I might take on
is trying to quantify how much time I am saving overall.
concerns and criticisms always welcome,