Tuesday, August 29, 2017

Stochastic Processes


I'm a big believer in online classes to brush up old skills or develop new ones.  I've taken several over the past few years and while there are some classes that don't live up to the expectations, I found one that has been a pretty fun course so far.

It's called Stochastic Processes: Data Analysis and Computer Simulation from Kyoto University in Japan.  Here's a link to the class on Edx.  It is self paced and wraps up Aug 2, 2018.  It is divided into 6 weeks of classes and each week is expected to take 2-3 hours per week to complete.

I have spent MUCH more than that simply wiping the rust off of my physics classes from college.  Don't get me wrong - I love the experience of going back to Albert Einstein's PhD thesis on Brownian Motion to help with that chapter.  I understood just enough of his paper to make the simulation more understandable, and having an excuse to read anything by Einstein is just icing on the cake.

And there has been a lot of that.  I had to keep looking up mathematical concepts I haven't used in a long time (Dirac Delta equation, for instance).  Again, this was worthwhile.

If you get a chance and know Python and meet the other requirements, this may be an interesting class to take.  Plus, to audit the class is free, and you can't beat that price!

Comments, questions, concerns and criticisms always welcome,
John

No comments:

Post a Comment