Friday, September 8, 2017

How I learned Tableau


Way back when I came to Tableau, I needed to ramp up on how Tableau works.  While I like to think I understand much of the math behind the scenes, I still needed to figure out the UI, connecting to data sources and mapping and functionality like that which Tableau provides.

One of my buddies from way back was talking with me earlier this week and had the same dilemma I faced: how to learn Tableau relatively quickly.

When I started, I bought the Offical Tableau 9 book by George Peck.  Great book - it starts with the basics and builds from there.  It's about 2 years out of data at this point (there is a 10.0 book available now), but I still use it from time to time to refresh my memory.

But books only go so far, and I really learn best with hands on work.  I found a "20 days to learn Tableau" chart that I also used.  It really resonated with me - it had videos to watch, whitepapers to read (I actually found a typo in one of the papers, reported it to the author here at Tableau, and it got fixed) and activities to complete.  I recommended it to my friend and I hope he gets as much out of it as I have.

Questions, comments, concerns and criticisms always welcome,
John

No comments:

Post a Comment